SSRI is a category of antidepressant and it means Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor. Celexa (Citalopram) is part of this class, and it is used for the treatment of depression. This medicine is known as a mood elevator.
SSRI medicines works by increasing the effectiveness of the brain neurotransmitter serotonin. Some recent studies have shown that it is very important to switch one SSRI with another if the patient is not respond to the first one. A waiting period in-between is not necessary. An alternative to Celexa is Lexapro.
Celexa is a good solution for the deadly combination – coronary artery disease and depression.
Like any other drug, there are some possible side effects:
– dizziness, drowsiness, trouble sleeping, dry mouth, nausea, diarrhea, increased sweating, headache,
– mental/mood changes, tremors,
– muscle restlessness, stiffness or weakness, fever, rash or muscle/joint pain,
– swelling of hands, feet or face or change in amount of urine.
If these effects persist or worsen, notify your doctor.
Here are some precautions :
– tell your doctor about any allergies, mental conditions, liver or kidney disease,
– use caution when performing tasks like driving,
– use only when clearly needed during pregnancy,
– breast-feeding while using this drug is not recommended.
There are some hot news about Celexa. It could be the next cure for prostate cancer problems. Some studies since 2004 had report that Celexa contains Paroxetine – a substance that reduce hot flashes, for men who are under a hormone therapy, in an attempt to heal the prostate cancer.
Never take Celexa by yourself for any reason. You should consult a doctor, because this drug could be a real hope for defeating prostate cancer.
Do not start or stop Celexa or any other medicine without doctor or pharmacist approval.